Pages

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

My $150 Lenten Sacrifice

{Thank you Serena D. for my title, I stole it from a comment you made a few weeks ago :)}

SO, every year {except the year I was preggo}, for Lent, I try to give up something and stick with it.  Something that I like, have often, and that I would notice without in my life.  

This year, I gave up, my DD "Medium Iced Mocha Latte w/ Skim Milk" {that's exactly how I order it}, but it isn't for the reason that you are thinking.

Yes, I am obsessed love this drink, with my whole heart, BUT I am not addicted.  It is not something that I NEED, rather something I like to have.  I don't get caffeine headaches without it, I just love the taste, the feeling of carrying my cup in my hands while I shop, drink, run, errands, etc.  

Then, why did I give it up, right?

When I was thinking about what to give up, I realized that I didn't just want to give up something that would be good for me, but something that would be good for my family in a way, maybe even... something that would save money??

Yes, I gave up my DD love, because I did some math. lol.

If the time allows, I get a $3.74 drink every single day.  {Even though I consider it worth every penny, I do agree that it's a little over priced. }  Now, let's multiple that by the 40 days of Lent...

$149.60

Say what?!?!  In just a little over a month, I spend that much money on COFFEE????

Now, just for arguments sake, let's multiply that {$3.74} by the 366 days of this year... {you may want to sit down for this}

$1368.84!!!!!!

Do you know what I could buy with that money??? Shoes!  Clothes!  Anything OTHER than COFFEE!!!!

I was floored.  And at that moment my decision was made.  Now, I can't guarantee that I am giving it up forever, but I will definitely be cutting WAY down and making most of my java{does anyone still use that word?} at home.

I do have to admit that I did cave one time 2 weekends ago, BUT it was only bc Jason accidentally bought me one, not remembering I gave it up, and I didn't want to waste the money!  Haha.

Even though I am missing it a bit, I am really happy with my decision and almost a little proud of my savvy sacrifice!

Happy Hump Day, peeps!  
xoxo.

3 comments:

Monica said...

I remember when I realized how much I was spending on coffee back when I still drank it, i was devastated.

Alyssa said...

Oh my gosh, I can't drink coffee at DD because they don't have soy milk but I don't even wanna know what I spend at Starbucks!

Unknown said...

Good Lord thats a lot of $$ on coffee!! We try to only buy our Starbucks or DD once a week. Total ## pit! So delicious though. UGH!